The Prom-Mom's Perspectives and Ramblings...

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pirate-Appropriate Circumstances...

So yesterday morning, during breakfast, Grayson asked me if he and Lincoln could watch an episode of something on Netflix while they ate their morning cereal. Being that I had no reason to say no and I have veeeery fond memories of morning cartoons paired with cold-cereal, I told him 'sure!'
After flipping through the kids menu, he and Lincoln agreed on watching an episode of Backyardigans, a show that although they both enjoy, they have not watched a whole lot.
Gray is just starting to read/sound out longer words and after successfully sounding out the word 'pirate' on one episode description, he insisted that he watch that one.
After selecting it and getting their little kid's table moved to the living room where they could see the tv (not brave enough to try bowls of milk & substance without a flat-surface with them, yet) ;P, I went back to the kitchen and began working on my house-chores. Though I was tuned in 'enough' to put out any fires that could start between them, or meet any 'dire need' requests, I was working on 'mom-things'...hence not paying a hole lot of attention to the show, itself.

A handful of minutes after the boys had finished their cereal and the little 20-minute Backyardigans episode had ended, Gray started humming a tune I recognized....the tune of 'What do you do with a Drunken Sailor'...and I asked him, 'Whatcha singing, buddy?' He proudly broke out into song (thank goodness with different lyrics, ha!) and said that the Backyardigans had sung it.

Grayson had school that morning, so the rest of our late-morning consisted of the usual routine of getting ready to go. On the way to school, Grayson started singing the song again--all lyrics and verses--(that kid floors me!) and then promptly stopped to ask me, excitedly, 'Mom! Do you think that Mrs. Schreiner, (his adorable teacher), would like it if I sang that song to her?'
I proceeded to explain to him that she would probably love to hear it but that he'd have to do it at the right time and used the word 'circumstances.'
There was a quiet pause from the backseat... 'Gray? Do did you hear me, honey? He thought for a minute more.... 'Gray??' He then responded, 'What did you say?' Realizing he probably didn't know the meaning of that word, I elaborated. I told him that circumstances had to do with the scenario--who's around, what his teacher is doing, etc. A big 'OOOOOOOOOH' came from the backseat and nothing more was said.
10-minutes or so later, we were outside where Grayson's class was lining up. I noticed he was patiently standing by Mrs. Schreiner. As she finished addressing Grayson's classmates, she looked down at Grayson and asked him if he could get in line with the other kids. 'So I guess this is not the right Cir-kum-stasses for me to sing you my pirate song?' *tripping all over the word. With a puzzled look followed by a chuckling smile 'Oh, Grayson...I'd love to here your song! Maybe you could sing for all of us as we walk to our classroom?' A beaming expression suddenly filled my young son's face 'Okay,' he exclaimed! Meantime, another teacher whom we consider to be Gray's second teacher--since she was his teacher during this past summer 'camp' experience, looks at me and says 'What in the world do you guys do at home?! Seriously...you're just killin' me here!' I just smiled & explained the 'circumstances', ha.

I soooo wish I'd of had a working cell phone/video-camera with me. Talk about melt the mama's heart to watch as his class marched their way across the playground in rehearsed fashion whilst my little man proudly sang the pants of his newly-learned pirate-song in the midst of the group--verses, choruses--the whole shebang!
Right before they reached his classroom door, he finished and Mrs Schreiner stopped the group. 'Class, I think we should give Grayson a big round of applause for his beautiful singing!'
Another tomato-red blush washed over Gray's face as his classmates and teacher applauded him and this proud mama thought about what a cool connotation the word 'circumstances' will forever have for her, from this day, forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!

Total PROM Visits