The Prom-Mom's Perspectives and Ramblings...

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pink is the color...

Well...here we are.
Week 13 of this 20 week chemo journey.

Had a nice little break--can't say enough how amazing it was to almost recognize my bodily-functions, moods, etc--for at least a few days last week.

Last Monday marked the beginning of the second round of chemo--a round 'endearingly' nicknamed 'The Red Bullet' by other patients who've endured it.
Yes, it's red--blood red, in fact--and I won't lie and say that watching the nurse pump it into my port was not a bit unnerving--especially as she sat there in her usual all-over-body protective garb, ha!
There's something just not quite right about that scenario--them protecting themselves from chemicals, albeit poisons, that they are purposely injecting into my system. Not sure I'll ever get over that. :-P

As a kid--even well into my adolescence--I swore off pink, entirely! Blue was always my favorite and periwinkle blue was even the main color of our summer wedding. At some point in college, however, I began to take to the color pink...choosing it over all else...something I definitely endured some criticism from, initially. By the time I was in my mid to late twenties, pink was my color! Pink clothes, pink shoes, pink scarves and hats, pink key-chains, pink phone-covers--you name it--it was pink.

Shortly after my diagnosis last fall, being that it was breast-cancer awareness--aka pink!--month, pink took on a whole new level in our house. I received cards, blankets, head-wraps, frames, more clothes, boxing-gloves (by request) ;) ...I joke with Aaron that since even though our home is dominated by boys, it's amazing how much the pink managed to take over in just a few short months!
Yes, you could say I'm becoming pinked OUT...and I'm definitely becoming awareness-ribboned out, ha! I LOVE the prospect of giving ribbons out to encourage public awareness, but those ribbons around my house are hardly necessary. All I have to do is use the bathroom to be reminded of it, lol!
Interestingly, while I had heard through the grapevine that I should expect to have red urine, so far, it's actually--you guessed it--pink!!! Don't ask me why I'm so intrigued by this--simple things stimulate my thoughts these days. I suppose, the irony of it all is what gets me, though.

I periodically joke that 'I asked this onto myself' by falling in love with pink so suddenly as I did.
After having two boys, I'd even complain in passing that there's 'not enough pink' or 'no reason for pink in our house'--well, watch what you wish for, I suppose! Really though, don't think I'm serious about any of this...only mildly intrigued. ;)

This 'Red Bullet' round really has earned it's name though, let me tell you.
Before we even returned home from Portland on Monday, I was already feeling it.
Tuesday morning welcomed some of the worst nausea I think I've ever experienced in my life...
thank goodness for saline and a loving daddy willing and available to drive my miserable self to get some bags of it infused into my weakened system!
Amy, my 'c-sister' has her chemo infusions four days prior to mine and has told me that by day four, post 'red bullet,' she was on the mend.
This is day three for me now and I can see how it's definitely, slowly improving, PTL!

Today I just feel fatigued and still weak. Mom and Dad have kept the boys this whole week, thus far, and though I miss them terribly, it's been such a blessing to mostly just sleep this all off. Sort of 'hibernate,' if you will. ;)

Thank you all for the continued prayers--I feel them--and I NEED them~

1 comment:

Thanks for your feedback!

Total PROM Visits