The Prom-Mom's Perspectives and Ramblings...

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Zion's Walls~

So, this past week in cementing all the specifics of our fast-approaching trip to Chicago down...it was brought to our attention that the CTCA hospital is in a suburb of Chicago, named Zion.

My apologies for the choir-geek that is breaking loose from me in, 3-2-1.......

*The ending, which is my favorite part*
(men)
'Come Fathers and Mothers, come sisters and brothers, come join us in singing the praises of Zion.
(enter women)
'Oh, Fathers don't you feel determined, to meet within the walls of Zion?
(together)
'We'll shout and go round, we'll shout and go round, we'll shout and go round, we'll shout and go round...The walls of Zion.'

*choir-geek moment successfully relived.*
Wanna hear the song for real? Go here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufDGjpSxw9k
to hear an awesome performance of this, as done by the Georgia All-State Chorus in 2010.

OK.
Now that I'm done ruthlessly plugging my deep love of choral music and directing into this entry...I'll tell you why I really needed to share that.
It is impossible for me to hear the word 'Zion' and not immediately hear this fabulous Aaron Copeland piece. Firstly, when my first experience of it came in the form of two, straight, LONG days of choral rehearsing learning this piece as a member of All-State my sophomore-year of high school--it was set to a pretty deep memory *whether I like it or not*--and fortunately I do quite love it. ;) Secondly, my love for it is not just because of that choral experience, but more for the appreciate of what it is about!
Not only did Copeland beautifully tie together awesome lyrics with a catchy tune--but he absolutely captured the EXCITEMENT of it's meaning--what I personally think drives it!!!

For those of you who don't know what Zion is, biblically-speaking...
(Isaiah 60:14), it's translated figuratively of Israel as the people of God. Then later, in the New Testament--both in Hebrews and again in Revelation--it's used to name God's spiritual kingdom; the heavenly Jerusalem.

As my mom responded to the details of our trip...
'Wait, Zion is where you're going?! Well, that can't be anything be good!' ;)


Really though. She's right!
As if other things haven't been enough of a 'sign' that we're on a positive track.

I have yet to tell you about the young breast-cancer survivor (Sara) whom they (CTCA) paired me with shortly after discussing our possible visitation. Instead of rambling on and on about the three+ hour long phone conversation we so naturally had with one another...I'll just post a copy of her initial email to me.

Please bear in mind that ALL she knew about me was basic info--name, age, city/state, type of cancer and email.


Sara's email:
Hi Hayley,
My name is Sara and I am a patient at the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Goodyear, Arizona.  Rafael, the OIS representative from CTCA who you spoke with on the phone, sent me your name that you might like to talk to a fellow breast cancer survivor.  I was diagnosed in 2010 just 4 days before my son turned 2 year old.  It came out of nowhere, but God has completely blessed my life through the journey.  I didn't start at Cancer Treatment Center of America, but when it came time for treatment, that is where I ended up. And trust me... I am ever so grateful I did!
I don't know where you are in your journey except that I do know you are probably still spinning.  And, for that matter, you probably will continue to do so for awhile.  Embrace the love and support you have all around you. Muster the strength that God has given you through your children, your husband, and your family.  We are not always meant to understand it all, I get that, but we are privy to God's divine plan if we simply be still and listen. CTCA is an amazing place that offers hope, care, support, friendship and passion.  It is a hard decision to leave your family for treatment.  Think of it as a short investment in your life - your long life- and they will fight this fight with you, give you the tools you need to be empowered, treat you with the utmost respect as a PERSON, and give you care that is top notch on so many different levels.  Their mission is to give you the quality of life you so deserve as this cancer has to live with you, not vise versa.  You are an amazing lady with so much life (AND ENERGY!)... this is just a curve.  Hang in there.  You have more rooting for you than you even know!
There really is so much humor in it all if you think of it that way.  Keep laughing.  It makes things much brighter!! 
You are welcome to call me if you would like to chat. My home number is (..).  If I am not here, please leave me a message of when you might have a free moment to chat (Ha ha... I know that is funny in ALL your spare time, SUPER-MOM, wife, teacher, friend, sister, and on and on.....)  I get it. But I do want you to know that if you have any questions about CTCA and my feelings or experiences there, I would be happy to talk. 
Many blessings to you and your family.  Keep your eyes forward... you are light that so many are watching. 
Sara
P.S. I know you are from Roseburg. My husband grew up in Eugene. He is an Oregon Duck fan.  He is trying to convert our son. Yeah, a cousin even sent our son a Duck Jersey!! What to do, what to do???!!! 

Yes.
That is correct.
She did NOT know that I was a Christian... nor did she know I was a UO grad and avid Duck...nor did she know my profession.
And Yes.
My head was spinning, too!
And my TEARS were flowing as well!!!

As I've told many of you now, at the beginning of all this, in my personal talks with the Lord I have asked--begged--pleaded and eventually 'required' from Him that if I was going to walk this walk and Glorify Him while my life turned upside-down and all around...He was going to bring clarity to every step of our decision-making process. Because yes, decisions are part of this. And they many. And they are not small.
AT ALL.

This email?
Yep. It's that confirmation... that clarity that I was headed the right direction for a second opinion.
The clinic being located in a city called Zion? Yep. Just more confirmation and clarity.

Thank you, Lord, for meeting that need.

...and as far as encouraging Sara's sons Duck-hood? Yeah. I'll be getting in on that. ;)


So that's it. With very little money *since we're pretty much broke right now--thank you, bills* and a huuuuuuge amount of eager and excited anticipation--we're off to Zion, IL!
Thank you, again, to my precious parents who will be watching over and caring for our two little guys while we're gone...and thank you all for your prayers.
Keep them coming. ;)

And yes...if you check the Treatment Updates link, you will remain 'in the loop' on a daily-basis.

Now, get off your computer *or phone* and go spend your time valuably and wisely. The TRUE walls of Zion are just around the corner for all of us, as it is--and we are all called to use every moment of this life, storing up treasures and testimonies worthy of that one~

3 comments:

  1. Thank YOU Sara for reaching out to Hayley. All who Love her & now you appreciate it greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I too am just a pushover when it comes to singing with many many voices the praises of our God .... I love hearing this music indeed! I would love to make the assumption that this will be one of our jobs in eternity! Lifting up praises through song with a myriad of voices! "Sing psalms to Jehovah, the Inhabitant of Zion; Declare His deeds among the peoples" Psalms 9:11 "Give a ringing shout, O daughter of Zion! Shout in triumph, O Israel! Rejoice and exult with all your heart o daughter of Jerusalem! Zeph 3:14 Loving you dear daughter, rejoicing in your rejoicing.... mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Sister sent me your posting. You are chosen, chosen to be God's glorifyer in this present moment, chosen to bear his likeness in suffering and in joy. Go to Chicago expectant with that Joy, ready to reveal who Jesus is in you and who He is to the ones there. You will recieve His shelter as you give it away! He is your shelter giver and he is manifesting his GLory in you. He alone is your strength and no one can really understand His presence in your life right now except you and Him. He will never leave you or forsake you. We will stand behind and pray. Please keep us posted.........Linda and Greg Shaver

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!

Total PROM Visits