The Prom-Mom's Perspectives and Ramblings...

Thursday, December 12, 2013

To My First Born~

Just seven years ago...

I learned a lot.


I learned that Hollywood's version of a water-breaking doesn't necessarily mean that the Hoover Dam just busted open. Rather, it can also come more in the form of something somewhat equivalent to tinkling ones-self a little, every few minutes. *Sorry if that's TMI, but it's true.*

I learned that timing is NEVER in your control...as did my class of sweet, innocent little 6th graders whom I gave it my all to keep 'out of the labor loop' so as to avoid unnecessary and total pandemonium.

I learned that West Linn Middle School that is, technically, 15 minutes away from Meridian Park Medical Center in Tualatin, could be reached in under 10 minutes, when necessary.

I learned that first-time fathers, when also in a sheer panic, WILL spend 2 hours packing nearly 'everything but the kitchen-sink' for fear of forgetting a hospital 'necessity.'

I learned that the commonly used intro 'It was a dark and stormy night' is an accurate foreshadowing of something big and important to follow.

I learned that labor hurts.
A LOT.

I also learned that labor can be LONG. (31.5 hrs long)

I learned that family who loves deeply, hurts and FIGHTS with you in the deepest and cutting of precious moments in your life can and WILL make the best of a hospital waiting-room space.
Aka: Pushing together reception chairs to make 'beds' for themselves, raiding hallway vending machines to fend off more true hunger--not wanting to miss anything.
Even forming prayer circles around your hospital bed when talk of c-section arises.



I learned that 6 lbs and 9 ounces worth of hard-earned fresh human-being possesses the capability of changing absolutely EVERY THING you thought you knew, were or wanted to be...
and that's just after it's first gulp of life, amidst yours.

I learned that brand-newborns are incredibly soft.
And messy.
But OH SO SOFT.
And kissable, warm little chest-snugglers!

I learned that skin-to-skin contact for breathing struggles really IS healing.
And heart-tugging as well.

I learned that nursing doesn't always just 'come natural'...and is difficult for some.
Especially for mama's with smaller, early-arrivals.

I learned that daddy's feel scared. Filled with love, but also fearful of the responsibility for a new little human.
I also learned that daddy's feel this fear because of how intense and deep their love and concern for their children, lies.

I learned that baby boys can reeeeally pee on you if you're not good and ready with a fresh diaper.
I also learned that the potential distance of that pee is really quite remarkable from such a tiny person.*We're talking across a standard-sized bedroom!*

I learned that it's ok to do what's best for you and your tiny, starving baby, and just because formula is necessary, doesn't mean a life was totally ruined.
*Heck, with all the other things out there causing diseases left and right, it probably won't make much difference in the long run, anyway.*



I learned that the definition of 'mom' has probably one of the most involved *or should* definitions in the Standard Dictionary of Terminology and that becoming one is absolutely, hands-down one of the most challenging, humbling and rewarding things one can do with her life.

One thing I DIDN'T learn on that day, however, was that I would love motherhood. I knew that from way back when I myself was still running around with baby-dolls and sippy cups in hand and then day-dreaming all through my teenage-years about the three or four children my husband and I would have.

However, the measure of love I have for this most awesome of titles--first given to me by my precious Grayson Milo, just seven years ago--was, and still is, truly, inconceivable~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!

Total PROM Visits