The Prom-Mom's Perspectives and Ramblings...

Monday, October 15, 2012

Pain is not above God...

Smart-ports are a wonderful concept.
Basically, they make it so that I don't have to be stuck with an IV every single week that I go for chemical treatments. It's really nice, honestly, that I have the option.
In theory, they are fabulous.

In reality, however, they are PAINFUL!!!

When I went in for day-stay surgery last Friday, I anticipated some soreness from the main-incision (which has actually healed up quite nicely) and some achiness in my arm from, well, having had minor surgery.

What I did NOT expect, however, was to lose the use of my neck and chest-area to the point that even initial walking would cause me to reeeeally question that, in the event of an earthquake would I let the roof cave-in on me or was getting to safety worth the pain endured to get there.
You know when you make the consideration of taking a dull table-knife and performing a little minor-surgery on yourself that:
A) You are in a LOT of pain.
B) You may want to re-think the idea of the Vicodin, as it's making you un-safe to yourself!

Not two days prior had my mom shared a hilarious story about her own surgery experience... a foot operation in which she was utterly determined she wouldn't need the heavy drugs to get her through.
Needless to say, fast-forward to her description of waking up from a dead-sleep, popping up from the waist, gazing on her throbbing foot and looking for the first thing near here that might act as an acceptable weapon for her foot's demise. Sorry, I've never (nor do I ever want to) see the Saw movies, but just knowing roughly that they are all about driving someone to the point that they are willing to take their own body-part off...I couldn't help but picture the scenario a bit.

That, folks, is when you KNOW you are in pain, or 'mild discomfort' as my hospital-release paperwork said, ha!
I suppose for someone more stout with a bit more 'cushion' on their bones, I could see this not being as big of a deal. But honestly, when something fairly large and foreign is shoved inside your body right next to and then over the top of your collar-bone and up into your skinny neck, it's easy to want to claw it out.

I could vent on and on, honestly, about the discomfort this thing has caused me in the past few days... including having to stop with the Vicodin due to the major intestinal upset it was causing me.

But, here's the deal.

GOD IS BIGGER.

God is Greater.
He is More Powerful.
He is More Awesome than any of it.

For me to sit and perseverate from minute to minute is the very rat-trap Satan wants me to jump into. He really will use anything and everything he can... and there have already been minutes lost that I've fallen prey to letting him.

The word PERSPECTIVE rings back into my ears with each and every next step of this 'hike.'
I find it ironic (though maybe not so much) and humbling that I felt led to title this blog, which I started over a year ago now (long before 'cancer' was part of our daily-walk) with that word.

Perspectives and ramblings.
Funny.
I still ramble, but me oh my, how my perspective has matured!!!

In the same conversation with my mom last week, we were talking about the pain involved in this journey and I couldn't help but reflect on the pain Jesus felt as he hung by his very flesh and bones after being brutally tortured to an unrecognizable extent... and I think to myself what unimaginable and unsurpassable physical pain he endured in those days he dangled up there. Then my mom said 'Isn't it so awesome that Christ did it for us so that we may NEVER have to?!!'

YES.
Amen.    

AMEN!!!


Hmmm.
Suddenly, THIS pain I am in now seems awfully petty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!

Total PROM Visits